It’s up to you to decide which one best fits your needs
There are so many different water heater manufacturers that you can purchase your hot water heater from. Within those manufacturers, they give you plenty of options – two of which include gas and electric water heaters.
If you are trying to decide which type you want to have in your home, it would be beneficial for you to know all of the advantages and disadvantages of each. We service and install both gas and electric, but you need to find the one that best fits your needs.
Advantages of Gas Water Heaters in Reading
- Convenient for a large family
- Easier to repair than electric water heaters
- The heating is gradual so it’s more energy efficient.
- They can run on household LPG cylinders as well as on pipeline natural gas
- You (the user) is able to control the rate of heating and also the duration
- No electricity is required to run this type of water heater
- Natural gas prices are not expected to rise in the foreseeable future
Disadvantages of Gas Water Heaters in Reading
- These types of heaters can result in a considerable amount of pollution because carbon monoxide gets released into the air while burning the natural gas
- The operational cost seems to be going up because of increasing gas prices (but everyone knows how often those fluctuate)
- They are pretty bulky and occupy quite a bit of space
- If this heater is installed in a home with multiple bathrooms, the piping process adds to the installation costs
Advantages of Electric Water Heaters in Reading
- They can be installed almost anywhere
- They are easier to handle than gas water heaters
- The energy source required to heat the water is less expensive
- There is no combustion of fuel, so there is no emission of carbon monoxide and no need for ventilation
- The heating speed is faster than gas water heaters
- The average life expectancy of an electric water heater is more than that of a gas one
Disadvantages of Electric Water Heaters in Reading
- You need to have electricity in order for this type of water heater to operate
- The purchasing cost of electric water heaters is more than gas
- Electric water heater operating cost is also more expensive than gas
- There is potential danger for a short circuit or fuse blow-off
There are goods and bads to both types of water heaters, and it’s up you to decide which one will work best for you and your family. If you have any further questions, or are ready for a water heater installation, call Essig Plumbing & Heating today!