With the fall season just a few weeks away, unfortunately, so is the cold weather. As temperatures begin to drop outdoors, you will certainly want to make sure that the temperature also isn’t going down inside of your home. That’s where you will want to go to keep warm, after all!
There are few things worse than coming in from the cold outside, only to realize that your furnace or heating system isn’t working properly. That’s why it is important to keep an eye out for these few tell-tale signs that will indicate to you that your furnace is struggling and needs to be repaired sooner than later:
• You have a difficult time getting your heating unit started: Heating repairs that may need to happen in order to correct the problem of not being able to get your heating unit started include thermostat replacement, rewiring of faulty connections, pilot light repair, as well as blower motor replacement.
• Condensation: If you’re noticing more condensation developing than usual on the inside of windows and doors, a furnace or heating repair might your best course of action. You won’t know for sure until you get an Essig heating technician out to your house to check things out!
• Chilly rooms and ice issues:If cold air seems to be constantly drafting throughout your home, there is a good chance that your furnace is no longer functioning at full capacity. If you notice ice forming on your roof, this could be a sign of furnace trouble because the heat from your home is leaking up through your attic as opposed to staying down in the living areas of your household, where it should be.
• Your furnace is more than 15-years old: It is important to be aware of the fact that the average lifespan of a furnace is between 10 and 20 years, with a high end unit lasting into the upper end of that range. If your furnace is more than 15-years old, it is probably in your best interest to schedule some major repairs and maintenance. You might also want to start planning for a replacement furnace sooner rather than later.
• Your indoor air quality is on the decline:If your furnace is in need of repairs, you and your family could be dealing with breathing-related problems. These problems often include asthma, allergies, and dry nasal passages. A furnace that is not running properly could be forcing dust, mold and other irritants into the air that is circulating throughout your household.
If you are in need of a furnace or heating system repair, give Essig Plumbing a call today!