While sledding and snowman building can be fun, the wintertime see its own particular hardships and headaches, especially when it comes to trying to stay warm. After all, we’ve all experienced the pain of having to crawl out of a warm bed on a cold winter morning for school or work. But while the focus this season may be on staying warm, you may also be presented with another headache in the form of plumbing problems. Since many homeowners are so focused on their heating system, plumbing problems like leaky faucets or drain clogs can often get overlooked and worsen as the season trudges forward.
Before you’re screaming and scratching your head at the cost of monthly utility bills without any resolution, PW Essig is here to tell you about plumbing maintenance in Reading. Our team of plumbers are on standby all season long to provide you with plumbing service so your faucets, sinks, toilets, and more are in working order. Don’t worry about calling us early in the morning or toward the end of the day; the team at PW Essig will be here for you every step of the way!
What Do We Recommend?
We’re in the midst of the coldest time of the year, so please take a look at these plumbing maintenance tips from PW Essig:
- Run Water: The best way to keep pipes from freezing or bursting is by running water at regular intervals from every valve in your home. Make sure water is warmer as well, as this will further reduce the chances of you going through the pain of getting frozen pipes fixed.
- Develop Drain Cleaning Solutions: Remember the baking soda and vinegar you used for your grade-school volcano project? Well, it’s also the perfect drain cleaning solution! Baking soda and vinegar can push any clogs out of your drains without you even having to make the call to a professional service!
- Keep Grease Away from Fixtures: While that hot meal may sound tasty at this time of year, avoid leaving grease or oil anywhere near plumbing fixture. Grease can harden in your drains and make passage through them nearly impossible. After cooking, put any excess grease or oil in a sandwich bad and discard it in your garbage.
- Turn Down Water Heater Temperature: Did you know it’s safer and much more cost-efficient to turn down the water heater temperature? Water heaters will use up more energy and cost you more on monthly bills, so keep temperatures below 125 degrees Fahrenheit to keep energy costs down and, more importantly, avoid burning.
- Invest in Water Softening: Your water isn’t immune from high mineral content during the winter, so you may want to invest in water softening technology. Minerals like magnesium and calcium can build up in your pipes and if it comes into human contact, it can result skin and eye irritation. Water softening will ensure safer water quality for drinking, going laundry, and washing the dishes.
Contact PW Essig today if you need plumbing maintenance in Reading and of course, please follow our tips this season!