Drain repair is probably not what you have in mind when trying to take part in some fun activities this winter. However, if you don’t stay on top of maintenance, it may just be how you spend the season whether you like it or not. Drain clogs can come out of nowhere, and at the worst possible time too. It can happen when you’re planning to have guests over the house for a dinner party when, all of a sudden, your kitchen sink experiences a pesky clog. And it’s not like you can just no do anything about and hope for the best. You need to take care of them immediately. Not just to impress your guests, but to maintain your plumbing system as a whole. If you wait for service long enough, you may lose access to the plumbing fixtures you rely on every day, and spend far more on bills than you anticipated. You want to avoid encountering these problems as much as possible, and the best way to do so is by taking the right steps in avoiding clogs altogether. All it really takes is a little more TLC toward your plumbing system. For example, trying to stuff larger pieces of food down your kitchen sink is just a disaster waiting to happen. Flushing things that aren’t meant to be flushed and you could have a backup or overflow on your hands. Washing items or liquids down a sink can have similar consequences in the form of slow, clogged drains. If any of these possibilities sound like a nightmare, it’s time to learn more.
Why You Need to Call P.W. Essig
P.W. Essig should be your first choice for service this winter, especially if you’re experiencing a truly wretched drain clog. One of the most effective ways to eliminate a clog is by giving our plumbers a call. We’re fully-trained and licensed to handle even the toughest plumbing problems, so your clogs will be no match for our expertise. We offer a wide range of cleaning solutions aimed at making sure those clogs are eliminated for good, including video camera inspection and water jetting. Even better, we’ll show you how to avoid clogs in the future so you won’t deal with any unpleasant surprises. We want to see homeowners be able to live peacefully, and that can be a little difficult to do when clogs keeping popping up around the house. Thanks to our help, you’ll be to relax more than ever. No longer will you worry so much over when the next clog will break out every time you use your fixtures. You’ll also save so much more on plumbing repair, meaning you’ll be able to gear your savings toward other interests. In fact, maybe you’ll save up for fun activities this season after all.
How Can You Avoid Drain Repair?
Here are 8 ways you can take a proactive approach and ensure not only you avoid clogs throughout the remainder of this season, but also a long time ahead:
- Keep Grease or Oil Far Away: If you have leftover grease from cooking for that dinner party, keep it far away from your drains. It will only harden and create an even worse clog. You should instead discard it in the regular garbage.
- Paper Towels, Cotton Balls, and Swabs: Human waste and toilet paper are just about the only things that should be flushed down your toilet. Paper towels, cotton balls and cotton swabs are not designed to disintegrate in water. Since they’re absorbent, they get heavier and harder to move once they’re wet.
- Invest in a Strainer: Hair will go down easily the drain. It’s inevitable. But there is a way to prevent it from clogging. Investing in a strainer will make keep hair, soap, dental floss and other materials out of your sink and shower drains.
- Keep Coffee Grounds Out: You may like starting your day with a fresh, hot cup of coffee, but it’s better to store coffee grounds in the regular garbage. Don’t ever put coffee grounds down the sink or garbage disposal unless you want clogged plumbing. Any plumber will tell you coffee grounds are one of the most common culprits for clogged pipes.
- Be Nice to Your Disposal: Your garbage disposal will be one of your best tools in avoiding clogs. It will chop up food before it enters your drain. However, like any appliance, you need to maintain it. For example, don’t throw any larger pieces of food down the disposal, as it may prove too large for the appliance to chop up.
- Run Hot Water Down the Drain: Get into the habit of running hot water water down your sink after every use. The hot water will work as a lubricant and make sure any potential sources of clogging are loosened up, making them easier to remove.
- Use Vinegar: In addition to hot water, throwing a little vinegar down the drain is something of a miracle solution to your clog problems. Adding vinegar, then pouring hot water down the drain will work wonderfully in keeping drains clean and helping you avoid drain repair.
- Know When to Call Essig: Sure, perhaps there are clogs you’ll be able to fix on your own. But if there’s anything that you can’t fix on your own, always refer to a licensed plumber at P.W. Essig. Relying on a professional will prevent you from damaging your plumbing system even more and spending more money on drain repair.
Contact P.W. Essig today at (610) 557-3302 if you want to learn more on how you can avoid spending tons of cash on drain repair!