Duct cleaning should be an essential part of everyone’s household maintenance plan. Without regular service, a build-up of dust, dirt and debris will accumulate within the ductwork, creating an environment where mold and bacteria can thrive. Most manufacturers recommend ducts be professionally cleaned once every two to five years to avoid contaminant build-up or costly repairs. So don’t jeopardize your air quality—get your ductwork on a regular service regimen as soon as possible.
But how do you know which service company to hire? If you don’t at least perform a cursory “Google background check” before you hire, you are at risk of falling prey to scammers. These guys love to make a buck by hiding additional, fraudulent services in your bill or by charging for a cleaning that was never actually performed. Ducts are typically enclosed within wall, ceilings and floors and it can be difficult for homeowners to discern their condition after a cleaning. Read on for a few tips to make sure you hire a reputable company and steer clear of those service shysters and ventilation villains.
The ideal place to start when investigating the merits of any service company is your local Better Business Bureau. The BBB strongly recommends doing your homework before hiring anybody to service their air conditioning system. Here at Essig Plumbing and Heating, we are proud of our BBB accreditation and A+ rating. But not every service company has such a positive relationship with their customers. Each year, the BBB receives numerous complaints from consumers who are charged unnecessarily for costly duct cleaning services at were either unsatisfactory or unnecessary.
Other things to look out for:
- Is the company registered under more than one name? If so, proceed with caution.
- Is the company certified? Check out The National Air Duct Cleaners Association , an easy reference to confirm the company is official.
- Does the company have a specialized website? In today’s tech-savvy world, any respectable business should have a quality website.
- Are their company vehicles properly logoed and employees professionally uniformed? Make sure the cleaning company is reputably recognized.
- Is the company’s address legit? Check out GoogleEarth to confirm a company’s site is an established location.
About Essig Plumbing & Heating
Essig Plumbing & Heating has served Reading, PA and the surrounding areas since 1938. Offering the full range of heating, cooling, plumbing, and air quality services, our company is on-call seven days a week and is known as the go-to home service company in Berks County. If you can't remember the last time your ducts were cleaned, or if you have allergy or asthma sufferers in your home and are looking for ways to improve the quality of your indoor air, give us a call today to learn more about duct cleaning.